fbpx Disability housing | Havelock Housing

Disability housing

There are a diverse range of housing options in the ACT and local NSW region that are available to people living with a disability. Below is a simple chart where you can cross check your current situation and see what sort of housing options are out there. Please note this is only a guide to eligibility, not necessarily suitability.

Social Housing SDAGroup homesPrivate RentalBoarding HousesCoopsOwnership
Person with a Disability not entitled to NDIS
Person with a disability yet to roll into the NDIS 2
NDIS Participant (without SDA funding)
NDIS Participant with Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) funding
Person with Compensation (TAC, Workcover)1
Person with an Aged Care Assessment (ACAT)1
General Community Member (No disability)1

¹ So long as income thresholds are met
² If approved in your NDIS plan

What will work for me? 

There are a number of questions you should consider when trying to determine what housing option is best for you.

Who do I want to live with?

Friends, family, by myself, persons matched by a support provider, happy to live with anyone? One key factor to be aware of is that often if you are funded by the NDIS they have some level of authority to decide if your funding will be for a ‘share with others’ or ‘needs to live by themselves’ situation. Make sure you check with your NDIS planner if this is the case.

Where do I want my supports to come from?

Family, friends, volunteers, drop in support, full time 24/7 support, house mates, assistive technology, house modifications? Often housing options will be linked to a very specific type of support structure. For examples many group share properties will have 24/7 on site support, and if this isn’t something you need moving in may not be appropriate.

Under the NDIS, you are not restricted to staying with one support provider.

An important factor to remember is that under the NDIS you are not restricted to staying with the one support provider. You can at any time choose to investigate and go with another support provider. In some circumstances and housing situations you do need to be aware this may mean moving house, and you may need to check your NDIS plan to ensure that your home, and your support are separate.

Who has the authority to make a decision?

Whenever and wherever possible the individual living with a disability should be encouraged to be fully involved and make their own decisions. However it is important to be aware who has the legal authority to actually sign off on any agreement required to move into a new home. This might be the individual, family, an agency such as the public guardian, or a trust.

What is my financial situation?

Do you have an NDIS package? What is in that package in regards to items such as core funding/Supported Independent Living/Specialist Disability Accommodation. Are you working/have wages, compensation payout, aged care package? Most accommodation option will have specific requirements on what funding they require for access, and some will have income thresholds for eligibility.

How long do I want to live here?

Do I want this to be my forever home? Are you just wanting somewhere safe and stable for a few years whilst I figure out my next steps? Do I just want to be here whilst I save to purchase my own place? Different housing options will have different requirements around your tenancy. Make sure you are aware what length of term you are signing up for.

What are the practical requirements of your home location?

Would you prefer it to be near a particular region or suburb? How far should it be from shops/bus stop/nearby medical or community centres?

Are there any physical requirements the property will need to meet?

Modifications to properties may be necessary to ensure it is fully accessible for tenants. For example, property modifications may include ensuring ramps and wider doors for wheelchair accessibility are included in a home, and a ceiling may need reinforcement for a hoist. Your NDIS Plan may provide funding for any required property modifications, and we will talk with you about your individual needs to ensure you enjoy a fully accessible home.